We Can Hear From God (Listening Prayer)
Is it possible to come to God like an inquisitive child?
– Mark 10:13-16 – Jesus encouraged the children to come to Him.
– Matt 18:1-5 – Be like little children… (inquisitive, trusting…)
– Gal 4:6-7 – We call God our Father because Jesus lives in us. We are His child.
Does God answer our questions?
– Jer 29:12-13 – when we seek Him with all our hearts, He will listen.
– 2 Chron 7:14 – when we humble ourselves and repent from sin, He will listen.
Can we trust that we are hearing from God?
– John 10:1-5 – God’s people will hear His voice.
Steps in Hearing from God
1. Start with the Word of God. Read a passage such as one listed above.
2. Invite the Holy Spirit to open your heart and your mind to His voice.
3. Ask God questions, expecting that He wants to give you answers.
4. Test the answer. Then accept or reject the answer after careful testing.
To analyze an answer from God:
1. Is it Biblical? (We need to know His Word.) Think of a verse. Look for one.
(Memorize God’s Word. Put it in your mind to get rid of the negative.)
2. Does the Holy Spirit give you peace?
3. Do other believers agree that it is from God? Ask a mentor/friend.
4. If you accept it, will it bring fruit (Gal 5:22,23) in your life? How?
Accept the Answer?:
Act on it – God wants me to….
I will tell ____ to hold me accountable.
Reject the Answer?:
Ask God where it came from
Ask God what He wants you to do about it
Analyze the answer
“Be still and know that I am God.” – Ps 46:10a
Now use one of the worksheets below!
Listening Worksheet – Qs to ask God – for Adults
Listening Worksheet for Kids – I love using this with my boys!